About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 30 - The Music Makes the Workout

Everyone knows the saying "The clothes make the man" - or woman as the case may be. (I'm not sure I believe that, but that's getting off track). I believe that as much as the clothes makes the man, the music can make or break a workout. Music has the ability to inspire emotion and make us feel, whether it's heartache, joy, love, or happiness. Music is an incredibly powerful tool, there's no doubt about that. And that's why it's so important, in my opinion, to have good music - however you define that - when you are working out. And that's the great thing about listening to music - it's all personal preference. And when you have your iPod at the gym, or you're rocking out in your car, it doesn't matter what it is because you like it. Listen to what you like!

Except when you're leading a class to a group of spinners. I'm sorry. I'm all about personal preference in music and embracing all kinds. Anyone who has seen my iPod knows this. I can dance around to Beyonce and Lady GaGa, then rock out to Green Day and Queen, and then relax and sing along to the Beatles and Beach Boys. But when you are responsible for leading a 50-minute spinning class where you are going to be pushing people to their limits, you need something that is universally acceptable for working out.

I know it's up to the instructor's personal taste but come on! Today's spin instructor (for the second week in a row) has subjected us to techno-laced indie rock. And not GOOD techno or GOOD indie rock, but super obscure jammy stuff. And while there is a time and place for enjoying that music, spinning is not one of them. I found it nearly impossible to psych myself up for it. And when the instructors laptop died and the music ended for the last 15 minutes of class, I was happy! And you know it's bad when you'd rather have no music when working out than what was just playing.

And I'm sure that's what the instructor likes. If I was teaching the class and had classic rock mixed with pop I bet he wouldn't like that. But I don't think it's a coincidence that last week there were 12 people in the class, and this week only 4. I hate feeling judgmental because I'm all about "to each their own" but I draw the line at terrible music during spin. Oh well...til tomorrow!

~Catie

Minutes spent working out this week: 110

No comments:

Post a Comment