About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 29 - Feel the Burn

Today I decided to try something new. After all, it is the beginning of month 2 so it's time to step it up! I normally look forward to yoga every Monday and it was really hard for me to skip it and try something else to start off the week. So why did I skip it if I enjoy it so much? I realized that if I really want to see some actual changes in my body, I have to start adding in strength training. Actual lifting of weights as opposed to sun salutations. There was a Lift and Sculpt class offered today, and it was not what I expected at all - in a great way.

One of the reasons I wanted to take this hour-long class was because I wanted to strength train and really had no idea what I was supposed to do. I mean how intimidating is it to look at all of the lifting machines at the gym, surrounded by all of the sweaty, grunting people who know what they're doing? Then to actually attempt to use the machines? No way. And free weights? I know biceps curls, but after that I'm lost. And this class offered me the opportunity to lift with the guidance of an instructor.

The class was great. Really hard, but great. And I'm sure I'm going to be all types of sore tomorrow for spinning. But that's not what made the biggest impact on me today. Today, for the first time, I really understood the gym dynamic and why people go to the gym. Sure, people go to get in shape. But they also go for the camaraderie - or at least the people who go to classes do. This is something I've been noticing for awhile, but really experienced today. The men and women in this class were motivating each other to keep going. They were sharing weights when someone needed an 8 pound free weight. But most notably, they were sharing in each other's lives. They noticed when someone wasn't in class and asked why (vacation). They noticed I was new and started a conversation with me. They even walked me around the room and make sure I had everything I needed!

And like I said, this kind of friendship is not only limited to this class. I noticed it in yoga, 30/60/90, and even spinning. But today was the first time I was included. People recognized me from spin, knew they had never seen me before in this class, and helped me. Asked me about my job, how long I've been going to the gym, etc. I never thought when I started this that making new friends would be one of the perks. Turns out I was wrong. Til tomorrow.

~Catie

Minutes spent working out this week: 60

No comments:

Post a Comment