About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 28 - Month 1 Recap

So it's been a month - well 28 days to be precise - of working out. I really can't believe it's been a month, and to be honest, I can't believe I've stuck with it this whole time. Some people might say that a month isn't a very long, and I guess in the grand scheme of things they'd be right. But if you think about it, a month is a pretty long time to do something that you really had no desire to start.

Not that I didn't want to get healthy. I wouldn't have started this blog if I didn't. But in the beginning I really didn't want to go to the gym or put in the effort. And if you had told me that in my first month of working out I would not only go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but that those workouts would be hour long spinning or circuit training classes I would have told you that you were crazy. Maybe a few days of walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes to start off, but not spinning! So I must say I'm pretty happy and proud about that.

And I am starting to see some results for sure - the biggest one just being more self confident. I can't really explain it, but I find myself walking around with my head held higher, and with more purpose and confidence, just knowing that I'm working out and getting healthier. And I haven't really seen a lot of physical changes yet, so I know it's not that. It's the emotional changes that people can't see, but I know are there. The ability to push myself and succeed. The ability to talk myself out of my Debbie-downer moods when I don't want to go to the gym. But more importantly, the ability to set a goal and stick to it.

So what are my goals for month 2? Well I still have my goal pants (I tried them on again and I'm definitely a few months until they are wearable). And I would like to try and work out a consistent 4 days per week and work my way up to 5. No more 3 workout weeks. I've proven to myself that I can do it, so now I'm going to push myself more. And I would like to start keeping a food log consistently. Because while it's great to work out, that's only part of it. I can workout until I can't move anymore, but if I'm eating too much or eating the wrong foods it's going to hurt my progress. And I'm definitely not kicking my own butt at spinning to have my food slow me down. I'm not going on a crazy no food diet or anything - I'm part Italian and LOVE to eat. But food should help make you healthier, not make it more difficult.

So that's where I stand after 1 month. I've made a lot of progress. And maybe I underestimated myself, but I'd like to look at it as exceeding my own expectations. If I had assumed that I would be working out 5 days a week to start, I would have failed and been down on myself. But you can't do that. You can't set unrealistic goals anymore than you can beat yourself up over it when you don't reach them. It doesn't gain you anything. Set realistic goals, and hold yourself accountable to them, but cut yourself some slack every once and awhile when needed.

And that's why my plan for month 2 is to workout 4-5 days per week, keep a consistent food log, and get my food to work for me not against me. I think I can do it, and I'm excited to push myself and test myself. To be honest, it feels great starting month 2 knowing that month 1 is behind me. I've already put myself out there, now I just have to push a little more. Til tomorrow.

~Catie

Minutes spent working out this week: 150

No comments:

Post a Comment