About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 45 - What's Fruit Got To Do With It?

I'm tired. Straight up exhausted. And it's starting to get annoying. I understand why I'm tired right now - I worked all day, worked out, and then went back to work to volunteer for our Spring Pledge Drive until 11pm. That all makes sense, and I believe it's legit. But what about earlier in the week? Or the week before that? I really thought that working out was supposed to up your energy level, but mine doesn't feel any different than before I started working out. Maybe my laziness back then helped store up energy? I'm not sure that's the way it's supposed to work, but that would be just my luck if it was. I mean, I manage to get into a workout routine, and it makes me so tired that I can't keep up with it.

I just can't buy that explanation though. I've done lots of research online (which I'm sure is 100% accurate - but whatever) and it all pretty much tells me that same thing: exercising helps increase energy. This sounds like common sense, but my body says otherwise. As I was reading more I found something that made me say 'oh...so that's why I'm tired all the time' and hit myself on the forehead at the same time. What was it? Eat better!

I'm not sure if anyone out there watches How I Met Your Mother, but on Monday there was a hilarious episode with Jennifer Lopez, who plays the author of the book Of Course You're Still Single, Take a Look at Yourself, You Dumb Slut. Blunt and to the point. And that's how I felt after I read about eating better - Of Course You Can't Lose Weight, Take a Look at Your Food, You Crazy Woman!

And I really didn't think I ate that poorly. I drink lots of water, try to watch my calories, and limit my junk food. But I was definitely missing fruits and vegetables in my diet, which has a lot of necessary healthy vitamins, as well as fiber to make you feel full. A lot of you may be thinking that this is common sense, and I know that it is. I can recite to you lots of great healthy eating tips. But that doesn't mean I'm able to makes those ideas a reality. In fact, I'm not - and I'm suffering for it.

I think it's time to take my get healthy plan to the next level. I've established a fitness routine, which I'm trying to build on that even more. I've also been keeping a food log, which is not quite as consistent as the working out, but it's getting there! But I think that I really need to get to a nutritionist and get some ideas. Why should I be putting in almost 300 minutes a week working out, if what I'm eating is negating everything, or almost everything, I'm putting in. That's crazy! I guess that's why people say "diet AND exercise" not "diet OR exercise". Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but sometimes you have to say things out loud to make them real. Til tomorrow!

~Catie

Minutes spent working out this week: 120

No comments:

Post a Comment