About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 7 - Week One Recap

So my first official week of being back to working out is over, and I have to say it's been a pretty interesting week. To be honest, I'm not sure I would have done it if it wasn't for this blog, and everyone out there reading and responding to it. Like I said last week in the "Why I'm doing this" post, I wanted this blog to hold me accountable and it really has. I look at going to the gym as not only something to make me healthier, but every day I think I better go or else I won't have anything to blog about later! And here are a couple of things I've learned this week - not only about getting back into working out, but also about myself.

Number 1: Make sure to pack up your gym bag the night before. It's really a huge pain to have to run around in the morning to find your sneakers or yoga pants. And I'm not sure how many times my boss will be okay with the "I was late because I couldn't find my workout clothes" excuse.

Number 2: You can't be so hard on yourself. Not only did I get on my own case for not being able to make it through a workout without modifying the exercises (which is crazy seeing as how I haven't worked out since I got married 15 months ago), but I also felt guilty about not working out the last few days. Both times the emotion was pointless, and did nothing but make me feel bad, and what's the point of that? There are plenty of things out there that I can't control that can make me feel bad, why would I want to contribute to it?

Number 3: Stretching is key. I really wish I had stretched post 30/60/90 on Day 3. I think today was the first day I could go up and down the stairs without pain, and I really don't want to get lapped anymore on my way up and down the steps by my cat.

And Number 4: Life is too short to not do what you love. And I know everyone has heard that before and probably at some level accepts that to be true, myself being one of those people. But I really started thinking about that more and more this week. I want to be healthy. I want to be able to go hiking with my friends without the embarrassment of having to stop every 5 minutes. I don't want to dread putting on a bathing suit! But at the same time, I love eating - especially sweets. I love sitting around and watching TV. And I love having a few drinks with my friends. So I've determined that I can, and I will, have all of it. Because life's too short not to. And if that means going to the gym Monday - Friday so I can take Saturday and Sunday off to go out with friends, have some drinks, then lay around watching TV then so be it. But you do have to make some sacrifices, it's just a matter of what you want in the end.

Power Yoga Monday kicks off Week Two. Til tomorrow!

~Catie

Total number of minutes spent working out this week: 255

No comments:

Post a Comment