About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 3 - Mind over Body vs. Body over Mind

You know the saying - "mind over matter" and "mind over body". A lot times I believe that to be true. Except today.

They hit today right around 4:00pm. What hit? My reasons and excuses for not working out. It was as if my mind had saved up all of my usual reasons, and threw them at me all at once. You've gone really hard the last couple of days, wouldn't it be nice to go home and read? And you're still pretty sore from Monday, you wouldn't want to hurt yourself. Etc, etc, etc. And I almost listened, I really did. But that's when I had to use my body over my mind. I literally had to ignore that little voice in my head and get myself to the gym. And once I there...I kicked its ass.

Today was by far the hardest workout I have ever done. EVER. And I'm dating myself all the way back to when I played field hockey in high school, and we had to run hill sprints after we left our bucket of practice balls at an opposing high school's field. Not pretty. And neither was 30/60/90.

30/60/90 is high-intensity circuit training in a way. It essentially consists of doing a movement, like squats, for 30 seconds. Then you pulse the movement for 60 seconds, and then you hold it for 90 seconds. Once you've done that you do 90 seconds of cardio, and then onto the next movement.

I literally wanted to cry, and I wanted to quit more times than I could count. I was holding my squat, looking at the door, and thinking I could just leave and never come back. I don't know anyone here. No one would notice. And to be honest at that moment I'm not sure why I didn't. My muscles were twitching, my heart was racing, and I really couldn't do anymore. My mind AND body were telling me to quit. But then I thought about something. How many times have I quit something in my life because it was too hard? Unfortunately, more times than I would like. Pretty much any time I've ever started a workout plan I quit because it was too hard or I wasn't not seeing results fast enough.

And at that moment I had to make a choice. I could either continue doing what I always do - quitting once it got hard - or I could tell that little voice to shut up and tell my body to deal. And that's exactly what I did. And you know what? When I finished that workout, the sense of accomplishment I felt was so overwhelming that I almost wanted to cry for a whole different reason. I realized right then that even though it's only Day 3, I had a pretty big breakthrough.

Sometimes it's mind over body, and sometimes it's body over mind. But in order to really make a change in your life, it's just you over your past. Til tomorrow.

~Catie

Total number of minutes spent working out this week: 195

No comments:

Post a Comment