About Me

My photo
I'm 32 years old, living in Pennsylvania with my amazing husband and 2 crazy cats, and I'm on a mission to get healthy. I don't want to be a supermodel, or some crazy female bodybuilder, I just want to be me. But healthier.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 4 - The Art of Zumba, Part 2

So today was my second attempt at Zumba, and as much as I really wanted to like it, I just didn't. I had pretty high hopes for it too. And the funny thing is, my issue with this class was the opposite of my last one, and I still didn't like it.

Last class (Day 2) I thought the instructor was really fun, and there was a great vibe to the class, but she didn't give enough instruction and I got frustrated. This class the instructor was better at giving cues and direction, but she just seemed cold. She clearly had more skill at teaching Zumba than my Tuesday instructor, but she just seemed indifferent. Like she had to be there, put in her hour, and be done. Not a smile, not a "keep it up ladies!", nothing. And I'm sorry, but if I'm giving you an hour of my time - especially an hour where I could be at home being lazy - you better damn well make me at least enjoy my time.

I still got a decent workout, but I just didn't have the same energy as I did on Tuesday. Even with my frustration I was still jumping around and trying hard because the instructor acted like she was having a great time and didn't want to be anywhere else but Zumba. I apologize if I'm ranting, but seriously! It's hard enough to go straight from working all day to then go spend an hour working out. There are enough reasons for me to go straight home. But I got myself there, ready to have a good time dancing around, and instead I ended up being annoyed at the end of the class. If the instructor can't bother to put in the effort, why should I? I realized that was a bad attitude about halfway through, but for some reason I just shake it.

I think the reason I'm so upset about Zumba is because I was really excited about it. I love to dance (just ask anyone who has seen me at a bar after a few beers), and the idea of getting to spend an hour dancing to fun music as my workout seemed perfect! And I do think that I would enjoy Zumba, maybe in a bigger city or with instructors who were better trained, but for the time being I will be sitting out Zumba and trying to find another cardio class.

That's life I guess, right? Sometimes the things you look most forward to are not all you hope they could be, and the things you dread (like 30/60/90) are actually the things that pleasantly surprise you. Til tomorrow.

~Catie

Total number of minutes spent working out this week: 255




No comments:

Post a Comment